Helping Texans with a variety of family law cases, including child custody and divorce.

Noncustodial Parents Have A Right To See And Parent Their Children

All too often, the message given to a noncustodial parent is that they are not the “real” parent and therefore are not given the space and time required to truly, actively parent their own children.

As a Texas family law attorney who has been through the Texas divorce and custody process, I understand how the system is set up. I know firsthand that this system does not necessarily serve the needs of children or their noncustodial parents. I founded my firm Beveridge Law Firm PLLCso that I could work to change that.

Have You Been Denied Visitation?

In many cases, one parent is denied visitation because it is no longer convenient for the custodial parent. Sometimes, the custodial parent denies visitation to exert control or as retribution. Whatever the reason, it is not acceptable to deny a parent visitation without a court order.

Action to take: If you have been denied visitation on more than one occasion, it is imperative that you keep a detailed account of what happened and when. For example, if the terms of your visitation are that you meet at the park at 4 p.m. every other Thursday and you show up at 4 p.m., wait until 4:30 p.m. and no one comes, and you get no response to your text asking where your ex and your child are, then you need to write down where you were at what time and what happened. Include the names and contact information of anyone who witnessed this. If your witness is also a good friend, they may be asked to testify.

Your next step: After you document the denial of visitation, typically on more than one occasion, you will petition for relief by filing a motion to enforce. A judge will sign an order to appear. The other parent will be served the notice of the contempt hearing. Different types of relief are available. An attorney can represent or guide you as to which to pursue given the details of your denial.

What contempt means: If the other parent denies you the visitation that is guaranteed in your divorce decree, they are in contempt of a court order. They can be subject to fines, probation or even jail time.

Get Experienced Guidance And Advocacy To See Your Kids

As a parent, I know how important it is for you to be able to see your kids and be their parent, not an occasional visitor. I understand the emotions that happen when you are denied this. I can help. I will work with you to do everything legally feasible to ensure you are allowed to see and be with your kids. Call 713-280-3326 or send me an email introducing yourself with a line or two about what is happening so that I can get in touch with you. Located in Alvin, I serve parents who want to see their kids throughout Brazoria, Fort Bend and Galveston counties