Helping Texans with a variety of family law cases, including child custody and divorce.

A Conversation for Fathers and Non-Custodial Parents About Ad-Litems and Amicus Attorney’s

by | Nov 11, 2023 | Firm News

Introduction: Advocacy Born from Personal Experience

Q: How did you find your way into family law, especially for fathers and non-custodial parents?

A: Well, it’s quite a personal journey for me. I was once a non-custodial parent, limited to weekends with my kids. But I went to law school to change that. After passing the bar, it took just a few months to secure equal access to my kids. Now, my mission is to support parents seeking equal time with their children. I’ve been actively involved in legislative efforts to promote equal access, and it’s a cause I’m truly passionate about.

Understanding Attorneys Ad Litem and Amicus Attorneys

Q: What roles do attorneys ad litem and amicus attorneys play in family law cases?

A: Attorneys ad litem are your legal advocates, appointed to represent your wishes in court. They ensure your voice is heard in cases like child custody, divorce, and adoption. On the other hand, amicus attorneys are appointed by the court to safeguard a person’s best interests, especially in delicate situations such as child custody matters. It’s vital to grasp the distinction: an ad litem is your advocate, while an amicus serves the court’s interest.

Affording Legal Representation: Navigating Finances

Q: What if I can’t afford an attorney ad litem?

A: Financial concerns are understandable. The Texas Family Code caters to publicly funded legal representation for indigent parties in cases brought by government entities seeking parent-child relationship termination. However, in cases where the appointment is discretionary, we consider your ability to pay reasonable fees for an ad litem. The court will appoint one only if it’s necessary to ensure the child’s best interests are determined.

Legal Procedures: Requesting an Attorney Ad Litem

Q: How can I ask for an attorney ad litem?

A: The process involves understanding your county’s procedures. Each court maintains a list of qualified attorneys for ad litem appointments. In mandatory situations, the court appoints an ad litem for suits initiated by government entities. For discretionary appointments, you can file a motion requesting an ad litem. The process might vary, so understanding your county’s specifics is crucial.

Call to Action: Seeking Equal Time with Your Children

Q: How can I take action if the other parent isn’t complying with court-ordered visitation?

A: If you’re facing challenges enforcing court-ordered periods of possession, you’re not alone. My focus is on helping you secure equal time with your children. Whether it’s advocating for your rights or navigating appeals, I’m here. Call my office at 281-407-0961 or submit your information here, and let’s discuss your case.

Note: This conversation is meant for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Contact our office for personalized guidance.